Tuesday, December 28, 2010

December 28th Email

Hey Everyone,
Christmas time was a blast down here in southwest Florida. Most of the week we spent in the apartment because of illnesses. Luckily I was able to dodge it until today. Sorry to say that this email will be short but I don't feel well. With all the sickness and celebration the Lord blessed us with an extraordinary teaching experience Christmas evening. We were in Naples and Elder Alber wanted to visit one of his recent converts so we called him up and went over to visit. Elder Firth and Alber went in while I talked with Tj on the phone. After a little while I had the feeling that I needed to go inside. When I got inside I just happened to come in at the right time because they were talking about his struggles to stay worthy and feel like he deserved to come to church and then Elder Alber turned to me and told his recent convert that he should ask me about the things that I have gone through recently because everyone isn't perfect. I was excited to share my experiences with him and try to comfort him and let him know that it's not always easy but it's worth it. His nephew was in the room but for the whole conversation was leaned back and not paying any attention until I started sharing my story and then he put his drink down leaned forward and sat on the end of his seat and started asking me questions. He had left the church when he was a teenager because he was scared about whether he was going in the right direction or not in his life so he left the church and started moving his life elsewhere. He didn't quite understand the Atonement because he asked how it is I was able to do what I did and still go on a mission. In his life right now he lost his job and is seperated from his wife until they can do the paperwork for a divorce. He didn't realize that all his answers that he was looking for at that time was in the Book of Mormon. He told us afterwards if he would have known then he would have read it and taken it more seriously. How great is it to know the simplicity of this gospel? That if we do the small things like reading our scriptures and saying our prayers everyday that the Lord will bless us? Alma promises in the 37th chapter verse 6 "By small and simple things great things shall come to pass." Do we take it too lightly sometimes? Do we not have time or are we too tired? It's not an excuse. I promise that if you look back on your day yesterday I bet you could find enough time to read at least one verse out of the Book of Mormon and say a prayer. And I promise as you do so that your days will be brighter, that light will guide you day to day and the Lord promises that He will poor out His blessings upon you. The nephew is having the missionaries come over this week and will be attending church because he knows now what's been missing in his life. As we were leaving they told us that there phone had been disconnected for the past week and that they had no idea how our call came through their line, but it did. Talk about the work of the Lord. The Church is true!
I Love You All!
Elder Salmon

No comments:

Post a Comment